Monday, March 17, 2008

Communion With God

This weekend I spent some time reading  Communion With God by John Owen.  I was particularly helped by his following statement on Communion with Jesus:

"The accepting of Christ by the will, as its only husband, Lord, and Savior.  This is called 'receiving' of Christ (John 1:12); and is not intended only for that solemn act whereby at first entrance we close with Him, but also for the constant frame of the soul in abiding with Him and owning of Him as such.  Wen the soul consents to take Christ on His own terms, to save him in His own way, and says, 'Lord, I would have had thee and salvation in my way, that it might have been partly of my endeavours, and as it were by the works of the law; I am now willing to receive thee and to be saved in thy way,--merely by grace:  and though I would have walked according to my own mind, yet now I wholly give up myself to be ruled by the Spirit; for in thee I have righteousness and strength, in thee am I justified and do glory;"--then doth it carry on communion with Christ as to the grace of his person.  This it is to receive the Lord Jesus in his comeliness and eminency.  

Let believers exercise their hearts abundantly unto this thing.  This is choice communion with the Son Jesus Christ.  Let us receive him in all his excellencies, as he bestows himself upon us;--be frequent in thoughts of faith, comparing him with other beloveds, sin, world, legal righteousness; and preferring him before them, counting them all loss and dung in comparison of him.  And let our souls be persuaded of his sincerity and willingness in giving himself, in all that he is, as mediator unto us, to be ours; and let our hearts give up themselves unto him, and not for another:  let him know it from us; he delights to hear it, yea, he says, "Sweet is our voice, and our countenance is comely;"--and we shall not fail in the issue of sweet refreshment with him."
John Owen, Communion With God, 59.

No comments: