Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sam Storms on Preaching...

One of my favorite theologians is a man named Sam Storms. In my interactions with Sam over the years three things have stood out to me. The first is that he is a man who seeks to love God with all of his heart, mind, soul, and strength. The second is that Sam is a joyfully contagious Christian. The third thing is that he loves the gospel. Hopefully, this background information will make you want to read the following article on preaching that he wrote:

An Appeal to All Pastors: Why and How Should We Preach - Part I
Sam Storms
"But if I say, 'I will not remember Him or speak anymore in His name,'
then in my heart it becomes like a burning fire shut up in my bones;
and I am weary of holding it in, and I cannot endure it"
(Jeremiah 20:9)
What follows in these three brief articles is a word especially aimed at pastors and teachers and preachers. I hope everyone will take time to read them and heed them, but above all else I pray that those who have been entrusted with the sacred calling of ministering the Word of God will recognize the importance of what is said.
Biblical preaching has fallen on hard times in the western world. There’s certainly no lack of speaking and sharing and shouting. And dramatic presentations and video clips are prevalent in pulpits across America. But there is precious little biblical preaching. The Bible makes a token appearance here and there, but rarely to be explained and expounded and acknowledged as authoritative for how we think and live. Many applaud these changes, seeing in them a much needed shift from the logocentricity (or word-centeredness) of traditional evangelicalism to what they perceive as a more holistic approach to Christian ministry.
There are several reasons for this death of biblical preaching, only a few of which I’ll mention.
(1) For one thing, pastors have stopped preaching because they have stopped studying. In effect, they have stopped talking because they have little to say. If they do have a lot to say, it’s typically their own ideas and idiosyncrasies unrelated to the inspired text.
This next statement may sound harsh...
(Click here to read the whole thing)

No comments: